Monday, March 6, 2017

Screenshot of the Week #114: Battlegrounds #1!




                One would think that in the launching week of Torment: Tides of Numenera this article would be about it, but that’s not the case. I backed the game almost three years ago delighted by the idea of a spiritual successor to the beloved Planescape: Torment. Yet, this game which used to be full of promise didn’t really grab me into its world. The combination of fantasy and sci-fi makes for an interesting universe and the story’s premise is intriguing enough but the gameplay mechanics are a lackluster. The dialogue system is a disappointing interrogation while the character progression and combat system are extremely basic. This isn’t what I was expecting from the spiritual successor of possibly the best RPG ever made, so I turned my attention to another game.
                A few months ago Battlerite’s Closed Beta Test took me by storm and got me playing like a maniac wishing the Early Access release would come sooner. This week I was hit by an even stronger drug, Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds. The Closed Beta Test dedicated for duos went from Friday to Monday and I had a blast playing it with a premade and even by myself. Battlegrounds resembles ARMA 3’s Battle Royale mod as the two share the same mastermind, Playerunknown, but the improvements stemming from a standalone title make all the difference. The game is mixing the simulator mechanics of ARMA 3 with a few arcade elements to create a smooth gameplay that’s accessible to almost anyone but with a high enough learning curve to continually push the players. The end result is an extremely addictive game capable of an infinite number of situations with an atmosphere so intense that I could almost feel adrenaline coming out through my eyes.
I played like a madman through the whole weekend and if the servers were still online I would have probably skipped on this article to continue playing like a madman. The game isn’t flawless, especially since it had no optimization and there were enough glitches to ruin a match, but having a gameplay that imitates ARMA 3 (to a degree) without inheriting its engine related problems made for a pretty great experience. I’m looking forward to the next weekend to see what improvements are made and obviously to play some more!! Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds will be available soon through Early Access but considering the state of the Beta I’m confident it won’t stay in an unfinished state for long.
We did it!



No comments:

Post a Comment