Monday, November 30, 2015

Screenshot of the Week #61: Tactical innovation!




                Screenshot of the week is late once again, mostly because I’ve been battling with my mixed feelings about Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void this entire weekend as I was trying to turn my experience and opinions about the game into a review (which I did and the result is coming soon).
                Lately I’ve been going through video games like candy, shortly enjoying the taste of one until jumping to the next. I think I’ve played like 5-6 different games at the end of this month and I still couldn’t settle on one and play it through until the end so I can write something about it. Aside of my usual doze of online gaming taken from Armored Warfare and Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns (soon probably from R6 Siege and Squad), I’ve been switching between Hard West, Mordheim: City of the Damned, Secret Ponchos and now Call to Arms. It seems like I’m manifesting some sort of gaming AD&D because all these games are great in their own way and I can’t settle for anything.
                Speaking of Call to Arms, the game is the latest installment from Digitalmindsoft following the same tactical RTT approach of Men of War but now in a modern setting. Compared to Assault Squad 2 which wasn’t much of an improvement over its predecessors, Call to Arms has some visible changes aside of the landscape. The most important and innovative feature the game has is a new aiming system which allows the players to take full control of their units aiming, shooting at the enemies from some sort of 3rd person perspective. It might sound arcady, but it works pretty well (the control is skimpy) and doesn’t take away from the tactical focus of the game but rather enriches it in a weird and fun way. I’ve always been a sucker for tactical and realistic games and Men of War has satisfied my need for such games  many times and by the looks of it so will Call to Arms.
There’s a ton to talk about this game but as is still in development and much of the features in Early Access are subject to change (including the UI, finally!) I will wrap things up here.  I can say with certainty that it looks promising and I’ll continue playing it from time to time as I follow its development.
Nothing can protect you from this!


In the meantime, please share my articles and follow me on Steam, Twitter and on Facebook!!


Thanks!!!




Nodrim

No comments:

Post a Comment